Friday, March 6, 2015

Xtext, Robots and Quirk Busters in San Francisco

Spring is around the corner and it is time for another EclipseCon NA.

This year I will be pretty busy: As some of my colleagues unfortunately cannot make it, I took over their sessions, resulting in one talk or tutorial per conference day. And as we decided to bring our XRobots game to our booth, that will likely keep me occupied for the rest of the conference. But I am really looking forward to it!

On Monday morning, Holger and me are giving a tutorial on Xtext for Beginners. Remember to bring your Laptop, as you are going to get your hands dirty implementing your first domain-specific language to create a Web-Application. Harbour A - Monday, 09:00 to 12:00.

On Tuesday, I am going to tell you why it is hard to integrate diagram editors with Xtext or an existing text-based IDE, and show how you can improve the user experience of a combined textual and graphical IDE. I will use FXDiagram, a framework that focuses on UX and keeping the developer in charge. It has made made great progress recently, so it is ready for adoption. Diagrams, Xtext and UX, Grand Peninsula EFG - Tuesday, 14:15 to 14:50



Wednesday is Xtext Day, an entire track exclusively on Xtext. I am going to substitute Moritz in the talk on Scoping, Linking and Indexing. From my experience, this is one of the first hurdles a language implementer has to take when using Xtext. Bayside AB - Wednesday, 15:00 to 15:35

XRobots is a robot sumo fight game. Players can challenge each other in writing the best script to push the opponent off the ring or tip him over. We are providing the game almost during the entire conference at our booth. All you need to participate is a web browser and some ambition to win :-) It has already been a huge success at EclipseCon Europe and Devoxx Belgium, so we hope the North Americans are as geek as the Europeans. If you want to know how we implemented it, you have to attend my session The Making of XRobots, Grand Peninsula EFG - Thursday, 14:30 to 15:05.

No comments: